I really need to update my article on the 9 ways to invest in foreclosures and earn money because I need to include one more real estate investing strategy – Build and Sell! Just look around you, big real estate developers are doing it. They buy big tracts of land (some of them are bank foreclosed properties), build their projects, and sell them for a huge profit.
You might be thinking “Sounds great Jay, but I am not a real estate developer, build and sell is for the big boys, and I don’t have that much capital, resources, expertise, blah, blah blah..”
Well, I have to admit that building and selling real estate requires more capital, resources, and expertise (especially with the building part). But think about it, these developers were not as big as they are now when they started right?
Anyway, I believe that a real estate investor should aim to become a real estate developer, and it really is possible. He just needs to dream big, start small, and learn as much as he can from someone who has also done it, and take action! The Build And Sell Mentoring Course being offered by the Urban Institute of Real Estate aims to take care of the learning part. Checkout the invitation below.
BUILD AND SELL MENTORING COURSE
Jose Yulo Caseroom, Asian Institute of Management (AIM) Conference Center, Makati
TIME and DATES
1:30PM to 6:00PM
June 9 to October 6, 2012
18 Saturday Afternoon Classroom Lectures
7 Sunday Morning On-site and Practical Studies
Inclusive of VAT, handouts and venue (with coffee but no food)
For 2 or more registrants from same company, the 2nd and succeeding registrants get P5,000.00 discounts each.
Please see attached Introductions, Coverage, Schedules, Conditions and an Information Sheet which you need to fill up and email back to us.
For more details and inquiries, please text Urban Institute of Real Estate at
CP 0916-426-9174 or 0939-137-9242
PLEASE FORWARD TO YOUR FRIENDS AND ASSOCIATES IN REAL ESTATE
URBAN INSTITUTE OF REAL ESTATE
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT
There is a discount of P5,000.00 for all deposits made not later than May 26, 2012. This discount is limited to the first 40 deposits only.
HOW TO REGISTER
To be registered, deposit to BPI Account No. 4520-0002-38, account name of Urban Institute of Real Estate; Sta. Elena, Marikina Branch, as follows:
1. Non-refundable reservation deposit in the amount of P5,000.00.
a. Deposit shall be made only after confirmation of your temporary reservation and receipt of our notice to make deposit by text or email.
b. In case deposit was not made within the next day upon our notice, please verify availability of slots by texting CP No. 0916-426-9174 or 0939-137-9242.
c. You will receive a text message confirming availability of slot which will be temporarily reserved for you until 12 noon of the next day.
d. After making the deposit, please immediately email us your name, date deposited and the code number of the machine validation in the deposit slip.
e. URBAN Institute will confirm your registration and reservation by sending you, within 3 to 4 days, a CONFIRMATION NOTICE by email , which you have to bring together with the original deposit slip on the first day.
2. Balance of P33,000.00 (less any discount) is to be deposited to the same bank account before the first day of the Mentoring Program. Please bring all original copies of the deposit slips on the first day of the seminar.
You are not yet registered without the CONFIRMATION NOTICE in your name. Please text us if not yet received 3 days after making deposit. Thank you.
CANCELLATION OF SEMINAR
- URBAN Institute reserves the right to cancel the program or alter the date(s), change the venue or change the speakers for any topic. In the event that we need to cancel the program or change a scheduled seminar due to severe weather condition, illness, political/social unrest and whatever other reasons, we will inform you by texting or email through the cell phone number or email address that you have supplied us during your inquiries. We will give you as much time as is reasonably practicable in all the circumstances.
- Refund of Seminar Fees. In case of cancellation of the program before start, all payments made shall be immediately refunded, while if already started, proportionate refund will be made immediately.
ENGR. ENRICO S. CRUZ has more than 40 years of working experience in the field of engineering, construction, real estate and education. As a Civil Engineer, he taught after graduation for five years in his alma mater, Central Colleges of the Philippines and at the same time, he manages his own construction company, Enrico Engineering and Management Services. He was the Vice-Dean for Engineering for two years.
He placed 1st in the real estate appraisal board examination in 1994 and 8th in the real estate broker’s board examination in 1988. He is also a licensed real estate consultant and a real estate fellow.
His past membership in real estate organizations includes the Chamber of Real Estate and Builders Associations, Inc. (CREBA), Real Estate Brokers Association of the Philippines (REBAP), where he was past president of the Marikina Chapter; Philippine Council of Real Estate Educators (PHILCORE) and Philippine Association of Realty Appraisers (PARA).
At present, he is the President of URBAN Institute of Real Estate engaged in real estate education; United Realty Brokers and Appraisers Network, engaged in realty brokerage, appraisal and consultancy. He is also the former Chief Operating Officer of First Amson Realty Development Corp. that was involved in housing and land development.
Author of “Comprehensive Notes and Reviewer for Real Estate Brokers” and “Mastering the Real Estate Broker’s Exam” and handouts/study materials for various real estate seminars.
Introduction: Build and Sell Mentoring Program
This program is not a college-diploma course.
This is simply directly learning the practical and applicable but extensive knowledge needed so that the participants can immediately go into the business of real estate Build and Sell and come out successful.
This program shall consist of at least 18 once-a-week lectures of 4 hours or more and 7 Sundays of visits to proposed, ongoing and completed BUILD & SELL construction site, and related activities.
All lectures will be conducted at the Jose Yulo Caseroom, Asian Institute of Management,Makati, Saturdays, 1:30 to 6:00 PM from June 9 to October 6.
There will be group field work for applicable topics such as actual appraisal of assigned properties, actual inspection of properties to be purchased. Also there would be group discussions, group presentation to the class, and group and individual assignments which shall be done days before the scheduled lecture hour.
Each group, in relation to their assignments and presentations to undertake, will be allotted extra time for consultation with Engr Enrico Cruz, either by phone, by email, by Facebook or in person, which, if ever, shall be held, only in Marikina City.
The class will be divided into balanced groups, based on educational background and work experience.
Starts June 6, 2012
Fee: P38,000.00 inclusive of VAT, venue (with coffee but no food) and handouts.
What would be taught in the Build and Sell Mentoring Program
- How to become an effective integrator of different knowledge and skills to achieve a profitable and successful build and sell projects.
- What project to put up on a given location or where to locate a proposed project. Which comes first, the project concept or the location?
- How to evaluate the marketability of your proposed project.
- Valuation of vacant land and land with improvement and how to set your maximum buying price.
- Financial studies related to buying, building and selling including Joint Ventures and Syndications.
- To gain general information on the works and responsibilities of different professionals that would be involved in the build and sell business to be capable of double-checking their works in case they were hired.
- The different alternatives on how to administer the project.
- The different government permits and licenses and how to apply and secure them.
- The different ways of marketing and selling your project.
- A general view of all the legal aspects related to build and sell business including the important provisions that should be included in the contracts.
- All taxation aspects related to build and sell, from buying the lot to selling the units.
- Other topics which may arise and are deemed necessary during the course and seven (7) Sundays of fieldwork and actual Build & Sell proposed, ongoing and completed projects.
Proposed schedule for the Build and Sell Mentoring Course
General Orientation & Instructions
About Handouts and reading Materials
About Rules and Procedures
Topic: SELECTED TOPICS ON PRINCIPLES OF REAL ESTATE ECONOMICS
PLOTTING, SITE VERIFICATION AREA COMPUTATION
AVOIDING FRAUDS THRU REGISTRATION & DOCUMENTATION
DAY 4 & 5
HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF: VALUATION OF SUBJECT LOTS AND LOTS WITH IMPROVEMENTS
EVALUATING THE MARKETABILITY OF THE PROPOSED PROJECT
DETERMINING WHAT IS THE BEST PROJECT FOR THE GIVEN LOCATION
THE LEGAL ASPECTS OF BUYING and SELLING REAL PROPERTIES WITH SAMPLE DOCUMENTS
INSTALLMENT SALES AND OTHER FINANCIAL TECHNIQUES OF BUILD & SELL
MATHEMATICS OF INVESTMENTS MADE EASY BY USING COMPUTERS AND FINANCIAL CALCULATORS
PROPERTY DEV PROCESS OF BUILD & SELL AND RELATED HLURB RULES
Day 11 & 12
THE ADMINISTRATION ASPECTS OF IMPLEMENTATION AND CONSTRUCTION OF BUILD AND SELL PROJECTS
Architect’s services and fees
How to secure Bldg Permits Bldg Permit
Notes on Construction Details
DAY 13 & 14
BUYING & SELLING TECHNIQUES
DISTRESSED PROPERTIES AND HOW TO FIND BARGAIN PROPERTIES
SETTING UP YOUR OWN SELLING NETWORK
AFTER SALES RESPONSIBILITIES
NOTES ON JOINT VENTURES AND HOW TO APPLY IT IN BUILD AND SELL WITH SAMPLE COMPUTATION OF SHARING
TAXATION ASPECTS OF BUILD AND SELL
AS LOT BUYER
SAMPLE TAX COMPUTATIONS
MANAGING YOUR PROPERTIES
EVALUATING THE RISKS IN BUILD AND SELL
SETTING UP YOUR COMPANY-INDIVIDUAL PROPRIETORSHIP VERSUS CORPORATION
ADDITIONAL NOTES & POINTERS
FIELDWORKS AND SITE VISITS
SITE Day 1
THE UNCOMPLETED TOWNHOUSE FOR APPRAISAL
NEIGHBORHOOD AND COMMUNITY EVALUATION
VALUATION OF THE USUABLE IMPROVEMENT
PRELIMINARY PROJECT CONCEPTS
SITE Day 2
A VACANT LOT BEING OFFERED FOR SALE OR JOINT VENTURE
SITE Day 3 (Fieldwork. Date may be after Day 5 as decided by class)
CHECKING COMPARATIVE PROPERTIES / PROJECTS
SITE Day 4
BACK TO UNCOMPLETED TOWNHOUSE
FINAL EVALUATION OF THE PROPOSED PLANS AND DRAWINGS
REVIEWING ESTIMATES AND SPECIFICATIONS
APPLY FOR BUILDING PERMITS
SITE Day 5 & 6
ONGOING CONSTRUCTION SITE OBSERVATION TOURS
SITE Day 7
OBSERVATION AND PARTICIPATION IN ACTUAL TOWNHOUSE MARKETING ACTIVITIES
NOTE: Participants are free to regularly visit the actual projects and marketing activities until completion and sold.
- The purpose of all participants in attending this program is to learn and not to gather materials for future articles, magazines or books. Participants in this program are not allowed to publish any portion of the program in any form and in any media including the internet. Pictures and partial videos of projects and class in session shall be for personal souvenir purpose only.
- All picture, handouts and any other instructional materials provided by URBAN Inst except books purchased by the participants shall be the exclusive property of URBAN Inst and shall not be reproduced for purpose of distributing or providing copies to other persons who are not participants in this program.
- In case of absences in any topic, participant may make up in later offering of the same topic, subject to availability of slots.
- URBAN Institute is not obliged to conduct make up or tutorial classes for any absentee participant.
- No slippers, shorts and sandos and informal attire will be allowed inside the lecture room and during site visits and field works.
- Recording in any manner except by taking written notes of the lecture is strictly prohibited.
- Sit-in of participant’s companion is strictly not allowed.
- In cases of justifiable reasons such as illness of the lecturer, URBAN Inst reserves the right to change, re-set or to modify the seminar dates, time and topics with a 24-hour notice either by email or text only. In such a reset of any lecture day or program activity, URBAN Institute shall not be liable to any incurred expenses or damages by any participant. In cases of extreme situations such as flooding, and in the absence of any notification, participants shall take action to verify from URBAN Institute.
In case of failure of any participant to complete the program, all fees paid shall not be refundable.
For more details and inquiries
Please contact Urban Institute of Real Estate through the following:
Reminder on the early bird discount – The last day for the early bird discount (less P5,000.00) is on May 26, 2012. Deposits must be made on or before May 26, 2012 and the discount is limited to the first 40 deposits only.
To our success and financial freedom!
Text by Jay Castillo and Cherry Castillo. Copyright © 2008 – 2012 All rights reserved.
Full disclosure: Nothing to disclose. I will not earn anything if you will attend this course. I highly recommend this course as I consider Engineer Cruz as a true mentor. I’m just not sure if I can attend this one due to time contraints.
FREE CHECKLIST: IDENTIFY AND AVOID PROBLEMATIC FORECLOSED PROPERTIES BY DOING PROPER DUE DILIGENCE!
Avoid losing money, wasted time and effort caused by buying foreclosed properties that have too many problems, with our free 60-item Property Due Diligence Checklist. Grab your free copy now.